Noris Ledesa, Curator of Tropical Fruit, and her capable volunteers have selected recipes for mango pickles and condiments. They are fast and easy, and will stretch your enjoyment of the mango throughout the year. These recipes are developed to showcase the many flavors of the mango; some work best with a specific cultivar.
- 12 green mangos (aprox. 2 pounds)
- 4 tsp. crushed cumin seeds
- 2 tsp. crushed red chilies
- 1/2 tsp. mustard powder
- 2 tsp. turmeric
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 2 cups cooking oil
- Salt to taste
Wash and peel mangos. Cut into large chunks. Pat dry. Mix remaining ingredients thoroughly. Add to mangos; toss till mangos are coated evenly. Achar must be refrigerated, and should not be stored.
Green Mango Marmalade
- 5 cups firm green mangos, pitted, peeled and cubed (3 to 4 mangos: 'Nam Doc Mai' or 'Phimsen Mun')
- 4 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract (optional)
Wash, peel and cube the mangos. In a large saucepan, combine the mango cubes with the water. Cook over medium-high heat until soft. Add sugar and vanilla extract. Cook until the jelling point (5 minutes or less), stirring constantly. Pour into sterilized canning jars and process in water bath to seal.
Mango and Ginger Marmalade
- 4 1/2 cups pitted, peeled and cubed ripe mangos ('Cambodiana' or 'Carabao')
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice
- 2 tsp. peeled and finely diced ginger
- 3 cups sugar (divided)
- 1 package Sure-Jell for low-sugar recipes
Add lime juice and ginger to the mango and cook until the mango is soft. Mix 1/4 cup sugar with Sure-Jell, add to the mango mixture. Bring to a rolling boil. Add remaining sugar, return to a rolling boil for one minute. Remove from the heat. Pour into sterilized canning jars and process in water bath to seal.
- 5 cups small green mangos (ping-pong ball size)
- 3 cups cider vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 tsp. salt
- Aromatic herbs to taste (e.g. rosemary or basil)
- Hot peppers (optional)
Wash the mangos and remove imperfections. Cut in half lengthwise, remove pit. Boil the mangos in water for three minutes. Drain. Return to the saucepan along with the vinegar, salt, and sugar. Boil for ten minutes. Add herbs and peppers to taste. Pour into cleaned, sterilized, canning jars and process in water bath to seal.
- 6 cups green mango (peeled, pitted and sliced)
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1 lb. white sugar
- 3 Tbsp. nigella seeds
- 1 Tbsp. mashed garlic
- 1/3 cup crystallized ginger
- 1 Tbsp. Caribbean bouquet garni *
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 2 cups water
In a large skillet, combine vinegar, sugar, nigella seeds, garlic, ginger, bouquet garni and water. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Add sliced mangoes and simmer for two hours until mixture is thick. Promptly fiII sterilized jars, cap and process.